The Becvar funeral business began in 1907 when Frank M. Becvar opened his first funeral establishment at 1850 West 47th Street in Chicago, right next door to his parent's grocery store and livery stable. This building was a store-front business since all funerals of that day were brought to the homes of the families. At that time, his business was in the thriving neighborhood known as Back-of-the-Yards.
In 1923, the business moved to 5207 South Kedzie Avenue, again a store-front location, in an area referred to as Elsdon or Chicago Lawn where the Grand Trunk Railroad had one of its headquarters. In 1927, keeping pace with the trend to take funerals out of homes and conduct them in chapels, Mr. Becvar built a new larger facility across the street at 5218 South Kedzie. When Frank M. Becvar passed away in 1935, the business was taken over by his four sons, Carl, William, Frank J., and George. They were assisted by their mother Mary, who had been working closely with her husband since the business was started.
One by one, as the sons retired or passed away, the third generation and grandsons of Frank M. went to mortuary college and took over their fathers' business. In 1984, the remaining funeral directors, George Sr., George Jr., James, and Frank V. parted ways. The two remaining locations (112th & Harlem in Worth, and 52nd & Kedzie in Chicago) were sold to Service Corporation International, a conglomerate based out of Houston, Texas.
Frank V. decided to stay as an independent like his father and grandfather before him and bought the Bourne Chapel at 65th and South Kedzie Avenue, located in the Marquette Park neighborhood, and renamed it Frank Becvar Funeral Home. In 1996, David Becvar, Frank's son, graduated from mortuary school and became the 4th generation of Becvars to be in the funeral business. This year, the Becvars will celebrate their 109th anniversary of serving the community.
The most recent addition is the Becvar & Son Funeral Home location at 5539 West 127th Street in Crestwood. The groundbreaking ceremony occurred in May of 1999 and opened for business later that winter. Frank and his wife Linda moved from their Tinley Park home to reside above this facility, making it possible for the Becvar family to provide you with around-the-clock service, every single day of the year.